Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Declaration of Rights of Man and Citizen 1789


“Liberty, Equality, Fraternity,” what else is there to say. When the National Assembly wrote the Declaration of Rights of Man and the Citizen, I strongly supported the revolutionary ideas that it put forward. This document had influence from the Declaration of Independence, which I heard was strongly supported in the Americas. The ideas in this document covered various ideas including, individual rights and the purpose of the government, defining a “nation”, a lot about law, laying out the responsibilities of public servants, taxation, and finally property rights. This document guaranteed people of the Third Estate many things which they did not have in the past, most of which allowed them to be somewhat more equal with the people of higher classes. Although I have not read the document myself, I have heard a lot of good talk about it from a lot of people about the content of it. I like and strongly support all that I have heard thus far as the ideas in the document support equality among the different social classes which was not present before. I have no objection to any of them, but the only thing I wonder is what the people of the First and Second Estates will think about the ideas. I don’t think they would support all of them, but they hopefully would like some of them. I wonder how they are going to respond to the ideas that were quickly put out in the document made by the National Assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment