Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Formation of National Assembly 1789


In 1789, I could tell that there was a lot of unrest among the different people of France. I would always hear my parents and other adults in the community talk badly about the Second and Third Estates, but I, being 25 years old and having to run a business, didn’t have time to understand it all. Being a little more knowledgeable now, I would assume it had something to do with the Third Estate not having enough power when voting as well as not enough equality in other areas. One day, I went with my wife to see a clergyman speak about Third Estate rights. His name was Emmanuel-Joseph Sieyès and he talked about the Third Estate forming something called a National Assembly which would pass laws and reforms in the name of the French people. Sieyès also started my passion for the government and me wanting to learn more about it. A couple days after I heard Sieyès talk, the National Assembly was formed. It was formed in an effort to promote the end of absolute monarchy and the beginning of a representative government. The day after it was formed, the city I lived in, at least the street I lived on, went crazy, everybody seemed ecstatic about it. I went out on to the street and celebrated with them. This was one of the only days I have ever closed my bread shop. While on the street, I heard a lot of talk about the start of a revolution and how the formation of the assembly was just the first act of it. As learned more about the background of why people were unhappy and why there were so happy about the formation of the National Assembly, I too rejoiced because the assembly would give the people of the Third Estate more power when voting and more freedom of speech. After realizing how long the list of the reasons why the people of the Third Estate were unhappy was (some of my dislikes included), I knew then that this was just one event out of the many that would soon follow. I had a feeling that the France was about to change for the better.
(The picture above represents the Third Estate with the peasant behind the chariot, the worker in the back of the chariot, and the merchant leading the chariot)

1 comment:

  1. Would you say that the picture will change as the revolution progresses? Should members of the third estate be equal or should there remain a level of separation between the classes?

    ReplyDelete