Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Reign of Terror


I feel there is much chaos that has gone on in the country after King Louis was beheaded. The Jacobins, a group of radicals, were the ones to have Louis killed, and, therefore, were happy about it, but one Jacobin, Maximilien Robespierre, slowly took power. I, as well as many other people in the city, were not fans of the Jacobins, and were not pleased when he came into power.
Robespierre and his followers tried to create republic which would wipe out every trace of France’s past. In order to do this, they changed many things, including creating a new calendar. But with the new calendar, the local church began to close, so when one of my daughters became ill, I couldn’t pray for her. Soon after Robespierre came into rule, he started to rule the country as a dictator. People called this period the Reign of Terror, which I feel is a perfect name for it. During this time, Robespierre and his committee tried to protect the Revolution from enemies that might try to slow it down. In order to do that, he imprisoned the so called “enemies” and, eventually they were sentenced to death by guillotine. Thousands of people were sentenced to death during the Reign of Terror, some of which I know personally and will dearly miss. Plus, most of the people who were killed belonged to the Third Estate, but that doesn’t make sense to me because the revolution was started since they wanted change, but Robespierre wanted to protect the Revolution. I don’t know what he was thinking by doing all this. I feel that the violence that was used was unnecessary, unlike the storming of Bastille and the Great Fear, because I don’t see what good putting thousands of people to death is. By doing that, you are not making a point, but rather you are just scaring the population. Finally, Robespierre was sent to the guillotine and the Reign of Terror ended. I don’t know a single person who supported the rule under Robespierre. Again, I wonder what rule will come next. I hope it doesn’t end as badly as this one did.
(The picture above represents the execution of Robespierre)

No comments:

Post a Comment