Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Great Fear 1789


Being a baker and owning my own store in the city, I don’t get out of town much because I need the money. But, regardless of that, I still have some friends who grew up in the city and went out into the countryside, despite the warnings from their parents, as they got older to see what jobs were available. Most of them I had not seen for a couple of years, until one day one came into the city with more news of rebellion. At this time, I was really getting into the idea that change was possible, so I listened to what he told me and I liked it a lot. He told me that after people in the countryside heard about what happened to the Bastille, they too felt like they should do something. My friend took part in what was called the Great Fear. He said it was a time when peasants broke into nobles’ houses and destroyed documents which tied the peasants to their duties. Sometimes, the peasants just burned down houses. After the peasants did this, they gained more freedom from their masters. He said that it was a very chaotic time in which they felt like they were doing the right thing. At first I was a little shocked when he told he, because of all the violence, but then, after it sank in, I was happy and this excited me even more. Again, I feel that violence was used for the rights reasons in this case in order for the peasants to make their point, just like the storming of Bastille. I was not sorry for what happened to the nobles and I thought they mostly deserved what they had got. I hoped this event made the nobles nervous and scared of the Third Estate. Also, this made he be more supportive of the revolution than ever before because of the measures people took for change. I was eager what was to come next and I strongly wanted to support and be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment